Saturday, July 12, 2008

My First Love

I just watched the cutest movie called Little Manhattan. Its a cute movie about a little boy that falls in love for the first time with a girl in his karate class, while his parents go through the pains of divorce. It was so funny to hear the thoughts of this boy as he tried to figure out what his love was thinking, when he should hold her hand, and if she felt the same way about him.

This movie caused me to reflect on my own first love. I was 7 years old. His name was Chad Farrer. He moved into my neighborhood and became best friends with my cousin, Ben. Now I had something to say about this, because Ben was not only my cousin, but my best friend. Ben and I were only 9 days apart and we lived next door, so naturally I felt that Chad was stepping on my territory. But my feelings of anger were gone quickly as I played with Chad and Ben. The three of us were inseparable. We did everything together, from camping in the orchard behind our house to making clay head necklaces to sell on the street. Chad remained my boyfriend until sixth grade. Of course, for grade school, the term boyfriend and girlfriend meant that we played together and never thought about anyone else. But then, a horrible thing happened. It was near the end of sixth grade, and there was a new trend amongst boyfriends and girlfriends. This was called going steady. This meant that you were exclusive. You would hold hands, dance at parties together, and if you ever got up the courage. . .a peck on the lips. At one party I even remember Chad and Chase McMillan lip singing I Wanna Hold Your Hand by the Beatles to Natalie Crystal and I. This all scared the crap out of me. I didnt feel old enough to go steady. I wanted to remain a kid forever and never grow up. I hoped Chad felt the same. But one day he wrote me a note, and asked me to go steady.

What?! NO! Why risk something that could ruin the wonderful thing that we had?! Why put everything on the line and open your heart to just get ruined later? I wrote him a note back. NO. The next week, Chad asked Heidi Bogus to go steady. Our friendship grew apart. Even Chad and Ben stopped playing, because we entered Jr. High. . .the land of flirting with the opposite sex. Even though I didnt ever take the leap of going steady until my senior year in High School, I had crushes here and there. But none will compare to my first love, Chad. I will always remember him to be the one that made my heart skip for the first time.

Now I am lucky enough to be married to the man that will make my heart skip for the last time. Regan Cole Whimpey. He is my eternal companion. He is the one that better not die before me, because I dont think I could live for one second without him. He has put all his dreams in a drawer for me, and I cannot think of a love greater than that. Every time I look at our son, I see my husbands love and adoration for me, and for that I am eternally grateful. I hope Regan knows how much I love him, but there is no way to express it. Regan, I am putting everything on the line for you. I am opening my heart, as vulnerable as it may be. But the possibilities of having my heart break is worth the risk. Because I love you. I will always love you.



3 comments:

  1. I love this post! It is so cute and original! I think that you guys are one of the best examples of putting each others needs before your own. I have seen you both support each other through really hard struggles. You are both lucky to have one another! And Scott and I are lucky to have you guys as a part of our family!!! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash- Sorry about the tick. I am glad that you are brave enough to have an iv in your arm so hopefully you can get better faster. I love your blog, your little cole is adorable and I loved to read your love story. It is so fun to have an eternal companion, I agree. I hope you are having a fun summer. Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Ash! It takes me down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete