Sunday, October 17, 2010

Who needs a gall bladder anyway?

Before doctor's appointment last week:


So, I was FINALLY able to get my PICC line with i.v. rosephin for my Lyme. This is the best way to treat chronic Lyme. It is the only medication that breaks the blood/brain barrier. . .meaning that it will work on my mind as well as my body. This should help with my depression, anxiety, short term memory loss, and help me remember how to drive so that I don't all of a sudden forget what side of the road I'm supposed to drive on and take the left side of the median with my child in the car. (Yes, my husband has taken my keys away). My wonderful doctor in New York, Dr. Daniel J. Cameron, wanted to have my iv rosephin for a minimum of 3 months, bu could be up to a year. Basically, they want you on the picc until you no longer feel sick. I had mine for 2 months, and was still sick as a dog. I had an extremely hard time eating and drinking, which caused me to collapse. I could barely lift my arms or walk five steps without needing to stop and gain my strength again. Yikes. At least I only had one ER visit, so I count myself lucky!!

Unfortunately, rosephin paralyzes your gall bladder so while on the medication we stay on the gall bladder diet. It wasn't that bad, I don't eat too many greasy foods anyway. Then one day. . .NO!!!! I started having gb pain. We checked it out, and sure enough I had many stones and sludge. The doctor immediately pulled my picc out. You have no idea how upset I was. I just bawled as he pulled out the line, because this is why we moved here. For THIS treatment. And because of my stupid gall bladder, I couldn't continue.

After my doctor's appointment last week:

The damage to my gb is irreversible and very dangerous, so I am getting it out tomorrow!!! Yay! It seems a waste. The pain isn't that bad. For me, my kidney stones are worse. But hey, this way I won't have to deal with anymore passing of stones, and I will be able to start treatment over again. Just another road block. . .I'm used to those. :) Regan's mom came out for the surgery. . .the little angel. It's been fun seeing her and its been great for my boys.

So in a nutshell, wish me luck!! Lets get this gall bladder out and start this thing over again!!!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your hair!! It is so long! But, sad about your gall bladder and treatment. Hope you are feeling better and the treatment can get started soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking 6 years post gall-bladder removal...seriously--WHO NEEDS A GALL BLADDER ANYWAY?! :) I'm so so sorry this has interfered with your treatment. What a pain. I hope surgery goes off without a hitch, and that your recovery is short. I could only eat jello and saltines, and I still had vomiting attacks--sometimes for hours, so maybe have something reliable for nausea on hand (you probably have all kinds of medications like that already!).

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck Ash! even in the middle of it, you're still looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley! Gall darn it! Can't wait for things to get better for you. I am so glad you have your sweet boys and friends who understand close to you.
    You are so strong to have had this for so long.
    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, We had friends in San Diego who had Lyme. He gave it to his wife. They had to live with parents because neither of them could even hold their son, their hands were so useless. They are so good now! They went from emaciated to healthy and living without help. They are better! One thing that helped them was a kinesiologist in CA who retaught them how to move because they'd developed such bad body posture dealing with the pain--that they created more pain. It is a real disease. I pray that things will improve with the insurance situation, because it is just wrong! I talked to these friends, Bryan and Paige Thunstrom this morning and they will be giving you a call. You are in our prayers, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In case you don't recognize me (because of my June Cleaver profile picture) I'ts me, Sarah Hale Cresap, a cuz.

    ReplyDelete