Thursday, January 21, 2010

I AM

I pride myself on honesty. I know sometimes I give too much information. But I also want to share my continuing story with others that may also be struggling. . .just so they know they are not alone.

Last month I was admitted to a psychiatric ward in a nearby hospital for wanting to take my life. I couldn't stand the pain anymore, the hurt, the never-ending struggle for answers to my health. Regan and I decided the best thing was for me to have intensive care at the hospital. It was a horrible. I have never been so frightened. I slept on the bathroom floor because I was scared of my roommate. I felt abandoned, and like a failure. Luckily, my stay was short lived as the psychiatrist enrolled me in an outpatient program every day so that I could be home with Cole and Regan. This program has helped me in so many ways. I will share more things I have learned in a future post. But for now, I would like to post what I Am. This is an exercise that helps me to be mindful of the present (not the past or the future) and that anything you feel is not bad. Even if it is a "negative" feeling. They are what they are. You can't tell someone to not feel guilty, because it is a feeling. It is what you do with that feeling that matters. It seems rather selfish to talk about myself. But it is good to remember the good things about yourself. . .especially when you feel you are of no worth. . .

I Am Ashley

Hi! I'm Ashley.
I am Ashley and I am honest.
I am sensitive, and I am creative.
I am in therapy.
Sometimes I feel like I can't handle life, but sometimes I am courageous.
I am spiritual.
I am empathetic.
Sometimes I feel like I don't do enough for my child, but sometimes I feel like a wonderful mother.
To my son, I am "Honey".
I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
I am an American.
I have Lyme's Disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, hypothyroidism, bipolar depression, anxiety, endometriosis, mono, Brucillosis, a heital hernia, kidney stones, anemia, and migraines.
I see the best in people.
Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. Sometimes I feel nothing.
I can speak Portuguese.
I am well-traveled.
I am too hard on myself.
Sometimes I feel guilty, but I am working on that.
Sometimes I feel depressed. Then the light shines through the clouds.
Sometimes I cry for hours. Sometimes I have no tears left.
I am close to my family because of the Ranch.
Sometimes I wish that I could live at the Ranch.
I have felt grief. I have felt loss.
I have overcome a difficult illness.
I am nurturing.
I am overcoming my addiction to pain killers.
Sometimes I want to die. Sometimes I regret wanting to die.
I am the daughter of a Heavenly Father that knows what is best for me.
Sometimes I don't believe that Heavenly Father knows what is best for me, but I am working on that.
I am patient, but sometimes I am tired of waiting.
Sometimes I stay in my pajamas for a week. Or two.
I am outdoorsy.
Sometimes I feel scared and alone, but sometimes I feel like I have all the support in the world.
I am the daughter of supportive, lovable, nurturing parents.
I have a firm testimony of Jesus Christ as my Savior, and of God as my Father in Heaven.
I am sincere.
Sometimes I remember what it is like to be happy. Sometimes I AM happy.
I have a loving guardian angel for a husband.
I have a son that reminds me how wonderful life is.
I am very close to my mother.
I am a sister, an aunt, a daughter, a granddaughter, a cousin, a wife, a mother, a friend.
I have attended 3 years of college.
I love antiques.
I have lived in another country.
I have lived in 4 states.
I am happy when my son holds my hand.
I feel loved when my husband makes me smile.
I am strong.
I am a survivor.
I am emotional.
I have been skydiving in Brazil.
Sometimes I lay on the couch all day. Sometimes I take 4-hour naps.
I don't take happiness for granted.
I have a supportive and prayerful family.
Sometimes it is hard for me to eat, but I am working on that.
I like to camp, hike, pick wildflowers, drink from streams, get dirt on my jeans, get splinters in my feet, smell the peach blossoms, lick the sidewalk, watch the sunset, gaze at stars, throw a frisbee.
I am an actress, a photographer, a pianist.
I am giving.
Sometimes I am angry about the trials in my life, but I know that they have made me the person I AM.
I am Ashley and I am grateful to be alive.
I am who I am, and I'm glad to meet you.
Who are you?

"I am a part of everybody. Without me there would be no 'everybody'-only 'everybody minus one', an incomplete world. I can make the world more complete just by being me."
--unknown

17 comments:

  1. Oh Ashley! I am so sorry for all your trials. It is amazing for me to see you go through what you do and still carry on. For what it's worth, you help me in my trials. Which are so very small compared to yours. I don't have all of the ailments you have but I ge depressed and anxious very often. It is SO difficult being a mother sometimes. Wanting to raise your children to be strong happy people, when you yourself don't feel strong and happy. PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can EVER do! I know I live really far away but even if it's just someone to talk to via email, facebook, blogging or even over the phone. I'll send you my phone # to your inbox on facebook. I really hope you ar doing better! Much Love, Lex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, you ARE brave and strong and spiritual and all those other things. I can't imagine going through what you're going through, but I remember what I went through a few years ago after I lost a pregnancy and dealt with the cancer stuff.

    You saved me then, by reminding me of two things:

    1. It's okay to be honest in my prayers. Even if I feel angry.

    2. During the Savior's most exquisite pain and suffering, when he had to learn what it was like even to be forsaken by God, he was sent an angel to comfort him. Angels are sent to us in our lives too--in the form of family, friends, even strangers. Even when we think we've been forsaken, we never really have. The Lord sends us angels to comfort us.

    YOU taught me those things, and it made all the difference.

    I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love for for all the things that make you ashley. our hearts are broken for you. can i come visit? i will call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i meant i love YOU for all the things that make you ashley. i'm smrt. appreciated the honesty, and loved all the positive things you found to say. that can be so hard. yay for overcoming one illness! now you know you can conquer. one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM so happy to be your cousin. I'm sad for your hardships and uplifted by your faith. I love that your son calls you "Honey". You are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved that! You are such an amazing woman! I am glad that you have written that down. It is a very important part of your growing and changing. I feel that this year 2010 is a year of progress for you. Love you babe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing such an amazing part of who you are. I love you.

    "Just When A Caterpillar Thought It Was The End Of The World, It Became A Butterfly"

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am officially crying right now. i miss you so much. i am so proud of you for fighting the good fight. hang in there. you are amazing. i continually pray that you will find relief from your accute and highly unfair trials. don't give up. we need you!!!! we love you!!!! and you are right, without ashley, this life would be empty indeed!

    brittney g.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I like to camp, hike, pick wildflowers, drink from streams, get dirt on my jeans, get splinters in my feet, smell the peach blossoms, lick the sidewalk, watch the sunset, gaze at stars, throw a frisbee."

    this is my FAVORITE!!!! it makes me smile and think of happy times when we were younger... and future times in store for us.

    i think pain is our companion here on earth no matter what we do, but that only gives us more of a reason to HOPE for an existence without pain and suffering!

    please, don't ever lose HOPE my lemon!

    i love you and appreciate your honesty SO MUCH. you are one of my truest friends, and i am so proud of you for doing therapy. it is so important, and it can be one of the best ways to learn how to cope with the pain without the pills.

    you are brave and strong and beautiful, and so much more.

    i lemon you!!!
    -lynsie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Ashley. No fair, no fair! I think about you all the time and wonder what this is going to lead to.
    I like this quote from Elder Wirthlin (Nov 2008--Come What May and Love It) :The third thing we can do is understand the principle of compensation. The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude.
    You have it so hard so often, but in my own bouts of depression I came to realize that things never stayed the same for very long. They got worse or they got better, but at least they changed. And usually, they got better.
    I pray it will for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashley your truth brought me to tears. I grieve for your pain and want you to know how much happiness and joy you have brought into my life. I want to live at the Ranch with you! I want to be there to hold your hand, to take Cole when you need me, to bring you dinner, to watch Grey's Anatomy, and to just be a friend. I hope and pray you will find great and strong friends to take care of you out there.

    Your faith is manifest in your hopeful efforts each and everyday. You are fighting a war and I believe YOU ARE WINNING!

    "YOU ARE"

    beautiful
    warm hearted
    generous in your love
    empathetic to other's pain
    funny and giggly
    a wonderful mother
    a lucky mother to have Cole!

    "I AM"

    The luckiest friend in the world to have you in my life, and to have had you close by for 2 whole years. Miss you more than words!!

    Let's both pretend we're at the Ranch! Love you, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post made me cry but in a good way. Sometimes its OKAY to feel what we are feeling. You know what I've been through and I'm so glad that you were able to get help and not give up. Thank you for reminding me that our Heavenly Father does not leave us comfortless. He sends us angels in so many ways to give us the strength to carry on. Sometimes those angels are the people around us who lift us up and make our burdens light. You were there for me when I needed someone to open up to during the summer. Thank you you sweet angel. I want to be there for YOU now. Even if it's just to have someone to listen to what is going on, I'm here for you. I'll call you. I wish I could give you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What you wrote makes me have a heavy heart for you, but to also smile because of the amazing person you are. Writing is theraputic and as far as I am concerned there is no over sharing, if people don't wanna read it, they don't have to. I think life is as much about the happy times as it is about the trials and tears because it all molds you into who you are, like you said. I love you! Please share as much as you feel up to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful, heartfelt manifesto. I am inspired by your self-awareness, because aren't we all so many different things.
    When I think of you I think of one of the prettiest smiles I have ever seen and one of the kindest people, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a brave and admirable lady.I wish had your guts when I was younger. I felt like you because of pressures put on me by others. I felt so shameful for not being successful in the way of life others thought I should lead. My way out was to lead life how I wanted - eventually and find who I really was . It wasnt easy but expressing how you feel is a wonderful way to start.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ashley,
    I feel your pain. I've been in the psych ward before and know how unnearving it was for me. Please know that you have been an incredible example to me and my family of what it means to endure to the end. You are an inspiration and I am so happy that I have had a chance to be a part of your life! God bless and know that you are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers everyone! I truly have the best friends and family in the world. Know that I love you too. I'm glad I have so many people to lean on in times of need. I hope that I can help all of you when you need help as well. Love you so much,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete