Thursday, April 23, 2009

Boston? Maybe Not.


Well, once again, life decided to throw a boulder at our family. Regan found out that his liver fibrosis has progressed to a dangerous level. The doctor told him that he has to lose weight now, or it's a matter of life or death in the next 5-10 years. So he is working really hard on eating well and exercising. Then another blood test came back that showed that somehow Regan contracted hepatitis! We are supposed to leave to Boston in one week for Regan to sell APX Alarm Systems for the summer. The treatment for hepatitis is bed rest, so we thought we could no longer go. My wonderful family fasted and prayed immediately, and the Lord blessed us. We were called from the doctor and were told that his bad liver gave a false reading for the hepatitis, and that he doesn't have hepatitis! It was a scary week.

But it wasn't over yet. I have been in and out of the doctor for at least 6 months for sore throats. I was told when I was younger that I had tonsillitis, but that I may grow out of it. I guess I didn't. Today I woke up with tonsils twice their size and all white and pussy (sorry for the disgusting details). I can't swallow and I'm in so much pain all over my body I can barely stand it. I was lucky enough to already have an ENT appointment set up for today, so I went to the doc. Sure enough, he said my tonsils were awful and need to be taken out asap. We are supposed to drive out to Boston on Tuesday. My ENT won't do the surgery until I am well from the current infection. Then after the surgery he wants me to stay in Utah for 2 weeks to be sure no complications will arise (such as blood entering my lungs and kidneys). He said with how awful my tonsils look, it was most likely be a very painful recovery and that I need to start preparing mentally now. Oh, and Cole has an ear infection and a temp of 103.

So I guess Regan is driving out to Boston without Cole and I. We will fly out as soon as this whole thing passes. This is so frustrating to say the least. I know that I have so much to be grateful for. But I need a break. I'm so tired. I'm tired of being sick. I'm tired of having the tiniest bit of hope left and then getting that hope thrown to the ground. Again. I'm trying so hard to have faith that things will eventually get better for us. But it's been eight years of grabbing onto a cliff with my nails, and I just don't know how much longer I can take it. I thought once we treated the Lyme Disease I would get better. But new things keep coming again, and again, and again. It's hard to remember what it feels like to not be sick.

But I have learned a lot along the road. Most importantly, that my family means everything to me. They have been there through it all and have carried me through most of it. I have the most wonderful husband in the world. He is perfect for me. He has shown compassion for me from the start, and never gives up on loving me (which I guarantee must be hard with how much I complain!!). My son keeps me laughing, and gives me something to look forward to every day. He knows when I hurt and cuddles with me and gives me "kisses and loves" so that "honey" will feel better. He shouldn't have to see his mommy cry so much. He's only two. But I know he is an angel sent straight from heaven to help me. I'm also so grateful for my mom and Mel, who have helped me through every single day when Regan couldn't be there. Mel is like Cole's second mom, and has been my best friend through my tough struggles. My mom will never know how much she means to me. I cannot describe it. She puts her life on hold for me every day. She even gave up a trip to Europe with my dad to stay home to be with me for my surgery. She is so self-sacrificing, and has helped me to understand the Savior through her example. I hope to one day be there for the people whom have helped me so much through these tough times.

9 comments:

  1. You are Ash, you are already there for those who love and serve you. You are a bright light shining in the dark for all of Us, reminding me that I can face my today, and even tomorrow. You are so much. Such an inspiration to ME! Such a comfort to find a friend that I truly cherish walking around on these lonely paths of trials and grief. It's refreshing to meet a dear friend experiencing so many of the same trials.

    Refreshing like lemonade on a hot summers day.
    So come on life, bring on the lemons!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear dear ashley, i am crying tears for you right now. i love you and pray for you. you have been the best example of kindness and cheerfulness to me since we were two years old and i've always wanted to be just like you. it makes me so sad that you have had so much difficulty in your life for so long. we will be fasting for you this sunday, and praying that things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying, too. I'm so sorry for all these hardships you are going through. I was crumbling last week with just the fevers and ear infections my kids were going through. We also think you have a fantastic husband. My in-laws met him, too, and loved him. What a blessing to be surrounded by such good people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks babe, for the kind words! I love you! I am going to miss you as I head out to Boston. I can't imagine what I will do with out you and Cole! But, it is what it is and we must move forward! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I bring you guys dinner? Is there anything I can do for you? REALLY, if you need a babysitter or anything I would love to help. Tell me when I can bring you dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bashly, you are such an inspiration to me. I just can't imagine what you go through each day and then for it to feel like it's not going to end. I'm glad that Regan doesn't have hepatitis, put him on a work out program called p90x. My Mikey had been doing it for months and it is awesome.
    Good luch with your surgery and recovery. That is a hard one for adults, my brother had his out a few years ago and it was tuff. You are a star and I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thought of everything you have gone through since I met you is so overwhelming to me! I wish there was another road for you to travel on and hopefully the freakin pot holes and craters will soon be left behind in a distant memory.
    I am SO ANXIOUS for you to join us out here in Braintree! I hope your surgery and recovery goes really well! We are going to have so much fun with all the girls and cute little toddlers boys that are out here. I will make sure Regan has what he needs so don't worry about him! He can eat with us anytime. And I will make sure its healthy! :) We love you and know you are in our thoughts and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley...this is Heidi Palmer. I am so sad to hear all of the struggles you have been going through in your life. You are such a strong person and such a great example of getting through all of your difficult trials. You and your sweet family will definitely be in Paul and I's prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Ashley, I'm sorry you feel bad. Rats!
    I remember your mom telling me some of the coping techniques you had learned when I was going through my first post-partum depression. They helped me and I wish I could help you back.
    I recently read a very interesting book about health and nutrition called The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. He claims a vegetarian diet (without refined flours or sugars) can repress everything from cancer to diabetes. I don't want to believe him because it would mean I'd have to change my lifestyle, (and even more tricky, my family's lifestyle) but he's pretty convincing. So I'm throwing that out there even though I'm not 100% on board myself. Maybe if you need a little heavy reading. . .?

    ReplyDelete